In 1897, the historic 1836 meeting house on North Main Street underwent a transformation, which the congregation referred to as a renewal. Inspired and funded by the generosity of member families, including Helen E. James, the meetinghouse evolved into the beautiful building we have in town today. This postcard, from the Meekins Library Local History Collection, shows North Main Street with a view of the Church after the 1897 changes.

Looking up at the church, the Chapel on the second floor with its big tri-part glass window and two parlors underneath, were added to the front of the building and changed the façade and entryway. These rooms and the belfry were the gift of Helen E. James, who gave so many gifts to her beloved town.
The Clock in the tower that still tells time today was the gift of William and Jeannette Nash. The Bell in the steeple that still strikes hourly was given in memory of Thomas and Lucinda Nash by their children.
Inside the historic sanctuary, the beautiful stained-glass windows that catch the sunlight more than 100 years later were given in memory of Luther and Philena Bodman by their children.
The First Congregational Church Meetinghouse, with its glowing cupola and striking bell reminding townsfolk of the daily passing of time, is an historic beacon in the center of town. Daria D’Arienzo, Meekins Archivist and photographer. #throwbackthursday; #tbt.
Posted to Facebook 4/25/2024

